Saturday 23 April 2011

2 sayings for living simply



(Image by Garr Reynolds)
1) Even Monkeys Fall From Trees
This old Japanese quote makes me smile instead of getting upset when things don't go according to plan.
After living in Tokyo for 11 years, I feel comfortable using the trains and I've made my peace with rush hour.  I've even developed the art of dozing with 1 ear open.
But a couple of weeks ago, I was completely missed my stops for two days running.  Twice in 2 days!  Instead of getting upset and making it worse however, I reminded myself that even old hands have the occasional miss.

Don't worry!  Even monkeys fall from trees!


(Also by Garr Reynolds)


2) Fall down 7 times, get up 8
Falling (and failing) is essential for growth.
My youngest son is mastering walking.  He falls all the time, and he's getting really good at it!
I'm a student of Aikido - where falling correctly is one of the first things you are taught.
To fall while making your best effort to help, improve or change someone or something is great.  It means you are going beyond your comfort zone.  Not falling, on the other hand, means that you have stopped growing.
So, fall down, and then get back up.

No comments:

Post a Comment